Orchard Stewardship Intern (Winter-Spring 2017)
Thank you for your interest in applying to serve as an intern with Portland Fruit Tree Project! Many who have taken advantage of this exciting, hands-on opportunity have learned skills that have led to work with great organizations such as Portland Youth Builders, Neighborhood House, Green Lents, and Mother Earth School.
During this internship, the Orchard Stewardship Intern will work with volunteers and staff to coordinate and maintain our Community Orchard sites and conduct monthly "work & learn" parties.
Time commitment: 12-20 hours per week for 6 months, slated to begin mid- to late-February. We can be flexible with exact start and end dates.
Location: You would be working primarily out of PFTP headquarters in NE Portland, but will be traveling throughout the City of Portland for site projects and events.
This internship is unpaid, but the rewards are many - including a great learning experience and lots of delicious fresh fruit! This is an exciting and unique opportunity to be a part of a vibrant and growing organization.
You will gain great event coordination and volunteer coordination experience; connections in the local food & urban agriculture movement, and the fulfillment of knowing that your efforts will make a positive impact for hundreds of people in the Portland area! You will be given diverse responsibilities and have many opportunities for hands-on professional development such that you will gain many marketable skills for your resume.
"I would like to thank PFTP for giving me the opportunity to contribute to their mission of increasing equal access to healthy food in Portland. My internship has been an extremely valuable learning experience that has also been a lot of fun! I would encourage anyone who is interested in helping their community to get involved anyway they can." - Gavin Flynn, Community Harvest & Tree Care Intern, Sept 2013 - April 2014
- Work with PFTP staff and volunteers to plan and co-lead harvesting events at community orchards
- Assist volunteers in distributing fruit to people in need
- Work with staff & volunteers to coordinate educational components
- Work with staff & volunteers to coordinate and maintain Community Orchard sites
- Assist with outreach to engage diverse participants
- Perform related tracking, record-keeping, and data entry
- Physical ability to lift up to 40 lbs, climb ladders, and harvest fruit in a variety of settings including on soft ground, uneven ground and steep slopes.
- Flexible schedule to include evening and weekend events.
- Familiar and comfortable with computers, including email, spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and well-organized.
- Ability to engage in positive, professional manner with diverse populations, including project participants, partners, volunteers, and the general public.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to the mission/goals of Portland Fruit Tree Project.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Current drivers’ license & active car insurance.
- Interest or experience in urban agriculture and/or community food security
- Experience working with volunteers and/or leading groups
- Experience with low-income communities
- Knowledge/experience with fruit trees
- Familiarity with Portland geography and local communities
- Ability to speak Spanish (or other language common to Portland) helpful but not required
Please email a cover letter and one-page resume to Orchard Programs Coordinator, April Jamison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due by Sunday, February 15, 2017
If you have any questions about this position, please call 503-284-6106 or email the address provided above.