Community Harvest Internships: Summer-Fall 2014
The two Community Harvest Interns will assist in the coordination of Portland Fruit Tree Project's harvesting events, co-lead harvesting events, and conduct site visits with registered tree owners. Of the two interns, each will take a lead role coordinating one of the following: our Tree Scouting & Tree Registration program, or tree care activities through our Community Orchards/Fruit Tree Stewardship programs.
Time commitment: 12-20 hours per week, for 6 months (June 16th to December 16th)
Location: You would be working primarily out of PFTP headquarters in NE Portland, but will be traveling throughout the City of Portland for site visits and harvesting events.
This internship is unpaid, but the rewards are many - including a great learning experience and lots of delicious fresh fruit! This is an exciting and unique opportunity to be a part of a vibrant and growing organization. You will gain great event coordination and volunteer coordination experience; connections in the local food & urban agriculture movement, and the fulfillment of knowing that your efforts will make a direct and immediate impact on thousands of families throughout the harvesting season.
- Work with PFTP staff and volunteers to plan and co-lead harvesting events
- Assist volunteers to distribute fruit to people in need via food bank partners
- Work with staff to coordinate either the Tree Scouting & Tree Registration program, or tree care activities through our Community Orchards and Fruit Tree Stewardship programs.
- Conduct pre-harvest site visits at the homes of our registered tree owners
- Assist with outreach to engage diverse participants
- Perform related tracking, record-keeping, and data entry
- Physical ability to lift up to 40 lbs, climb ladders, and harvest fruit in a variety of settings including on soft ground, uneven ground and steep slopes.
- Flexible schedule to include evening and weekend events.
- Familiar and comfortable with computers, including email, word processing spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and well-organized.
- Ability to engage in positive, professional manner with diverse populations, including project participants, partners, volunteers, and the general public.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to the mission/goals of the Portland Fruit Tree Project.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Current drivers’ license & active car insurance.
- Interest or experience in urban agriculture and/or community food security
- Experience working with volunteers and/or leading groups
- Experience with low-income communities
- Knowledge/experience with fruit trees
- Familiarity with Portland geography and local communities
- Ability to speak Spanish (or other language common to Portland) helpful but not required
Please email a cover letter and one-page resume to Bob Hatton: bob[at]portlandfruit.org
In your cover letter, please note whether you are most interested in the Tree Scouting, or Tree Care focus. Applications are due by Monday May 12th, 2014.
If you have any questions about this position, please call 503-284-6106 or email the address provided above.