Communications & Development Intern (Spring-Summer 2017)
Thank you for your interest in joining the Portland Fruit Tree Project Team as our next Communications & Development Intern.
The intern will primarily support the Communications & Office Coordinator in creating and implementing social media and print/digital media campaigns, writing and editing press releases, and promoting Portland Fruit Tree Project’s programs and events. Additionally, the intern will assist with data entry, grant and donation processing, and fundraising and event planning and support, along with other basic office management tasks, as needed.
Time commitment: 12-20 hours per week for 6 months OR 15-25 hours for 3 months. The internship is slated to start the beginning of April. For the right candidate, we can be flexible on exact timing of start and end dates.
Location: The intern will be working primarily out of PFTP’s headquarters in NE Portland. On occasion, support at fundraising events outside of normal business hours will be needed.
This internship is unpaid, but the rewards are many - including a great learning experience and the unique opportunity to be a part of a vibrant and growing organization, committed to strengthening community and increasing access to fresh food for all. The skills learned will directly and positively enhance your resume.
This intern will...
- Promote events via social media and other outlets
- Assist with preparing (planning, writing, and submitting copy for) monthly email communications
- Collaborate with Communications & Office Coordinator and Development Team to craft messaging campaigns
- Create or assist with the creation of publicity materials and marketing collateral, as needed
- Assist with data entry and database management as it relates to marketing and fundraising efforts
- Assist with donor appeals or compaigns, donor appreciation and follow-up
- Donor appeals and campaigns
- Perform related tracking, record-keeping, and data entry
- Perform routine office-related tasks, like copying, filing, scanning, and maintaining accurate inventory of supplies
- Potential for additional projects (depending on the intern's skill set, personal interest, and time commitment)
- Familiarity and comfort with computers, including email, MS Office Suite, Google Apps, etc.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts, if needed
- Strong verbal, organizational and writing skills
- Self-motivation and organization, the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Flexible, adaptable and open to a variety of experiences
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills
- Commitment to the mission/goals of Portland Fruit Tree Project
Desired (but not required) Skills…
- Experience with community outreach, web content/social media
- Facility with a camera and basic photography editing (Photoshop/Illustrator or Gimp/Inkscape)
How to Apply (Please follow each step):
Please submit the following in a single .pdf via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- One-page cover letter. Please express why this particular internship is important to you and why you wish to intern at PFTP specifically. Please do not reference anything that is already listed on your resume.
- One-page resume.
- In the subject line of your email, please write “Communications & Development Intern,” followed by your first and last name.
Applications are due by Tuesday, March 28, 2017. Interviews will be conducted right away. ***Please note that there is a possibility this opportunity may close before the deadline, so we advise early submission of application materials. If special accommodations are needed, please let us know by or before Sunday, March 26, 2017.