2016 Tree Care Team Member position description
Join the Portland Fruit Tree Project in increasing access to healthful food and strengthening communities by empowering neighbors to share in the care of urban fruit tree...
As a Tree Care Team member, you will learn how to properly care for fruit trees in your own neighborhood! It's a fun way to meet your neighbors and improve the health of local fruit trees in order to help make locally-grown produce available to all.
Tree Care Team Overview:
Currently, we have over 3000 registered fruit & nut trees in the PFTP fruit tree registry. The vast majority of our registered tree owners lack the time, ability, or knowledge to properly care for their trees themselves. It is our hope that, through the Tree Care Team (TCT) program, each year we will be able to steward a greater number of fruit trees from a state of neglect to a state of health & abundance. Each TCT will consist of 7-15 team members, and will be led by our TCT Leaders – more experienced volunteers who will teach and guide you in developing the skills and knowledge you will need to successfully care for fruit trees. TCTs will be responsible for the stewardship of a cluster of registered fruit trees in their neighborhood, visiting each tree once per season in order to complete the full spectrum of care throughout the year. Certificates of completion will be awarded to those who complete the program. Program fee $35. Some full or partial scholarships are available.
Tree Care Team Member Responsibilities:
- Attend Tree Care Team Orientation in mid January
- Participate in ten 3-hour work-parties (January-November, 2016). Topics/tasks will include: Tree Care Basics, Winter Pruning, Young Fruit Trees, Spring Pest & Disease Management/ Fruit Thinning, Summer Pruning, and Fall Clean-Up/Pest & Disease Assessment.
- Commit to participating with your TCT for all scheduled sessions to earn the certificate of completion.
- Complete year-end survey and report in November
- Attend year-end celebration & volunteer appreciation event in December. (optional)
Request an application by calling 503-284-6106, or send an email to email@example.com with "TCT Member Application Request" in the subject line. We will send you an application as soon as possible. The application deadline is Sunday, January 10th. Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis to fill any remaining spots.