2013 Tree Care Team Leader position description
Join the Portland Fruit Tree Project in increasing access to healthy food
and strengthening communities by empowering neighbors to share
in the care of urban fruit trees…
Do you have skills/experience in organic fruit tree care? Put those skills to great use and join Portland Fruit Tree Project in increasing the health and abundance of urban fruit trees – Become a Tree Care Team Leader in 2013! As a Tree Care Team Leader, you will guide a group of 7 - 15 volunteers in caring for fruit trees in your own community. It’s a great opportunity to share your knowledge, and take on a leadership role in the second year of this exciting new program.
Tree Care Team Leader Overview:
Portland Fruit Tree Project (PFTP) currently has over 2,000 fruit & nut trees in our registry. The majority of registered tree owners lack the time, ability, or knowledge to properly care for their trees. It is our hope that, through the Tree Care Team (TCT) program, each year we will be able to steward a greater number of fruit trees from a state of neglect to a state of health & abundance.
We are forming teams of volunteers to care for fruit trees registered and harvested by PFTP. Each TCT will include one ‘Team Leader’ (or two co-Leaders) with experience and skills in organic fruit tree care, who will teach and guide the group. Each team will be responsible for a group of registered trees in their area, visiting each tree once per season to complete the full spectrum of care throughout the year. This will be a unique opportunity to share your skills and knowledge in fruit tree care, meet new people, and improve the health and productivity of trees providing food to your community!
Members and Leaders will participate in ten 3-hour work-parties over an 11-month period (January-November, 2013). Topics/tasks will include: Tree Care Basics, Winter Pruning, Young Fruit Tree Training & Care, Spring Pest & Disease Management, Fruit Thinning, Summer Pruning, and Fall Clean-Up/Pest & Disease Assessment.
Tree Care Team Leader Responsibilities:
- Attend TCT Leader Orientation & Planning Meeting on January 15th, 6pm - 7:30pm
- Lead or Co-Lead 8 to 10 three-hour TCT sessions (at least one session per topic). Some of the sessions may include a short classroom segment which you might teach or co-teach.
- Assist PFTP staff with TCT equipment transportation, as needed
- Total time commitment will be 40 to 50 hours over the course of the year.
- Attend a mid-season check-in meeting with PFTP staff in March
- Complete year-end survey in November
- Celebrate! (optional) Attend year-end celebration & volunteer appreciation event in December
Request an application by calling 503-284-6106, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org,with ‘TCT Leader Application Request' in the subject line. We'll send you an application right away.
Applications are due Sunday January 6th